Moodle Starter Guide
This guide describes how to log in, find courses, locate and edit user profiles, locate and post to discussion forums, and where to find additional help. You will be sent your account details when you start your course.
Please follow these steps:
- Sign-in to Moodle.
- Update your profile
- Enrol in your course(s).
- Explore Moodle
How to sign-in to Moodle
- Click here.
- Enter your username and password.
- Click on Login
You should now be logged in. If you got a login error, please double-check your username and password. If you have forgotten your username or password for your click on the Yes, help me log in button
Your profile is your identity on Moodle. All SPTI Moodle users can see it, including your instructors.
To edit your profile
To access your profile, click on your name next to the "Logout" link at the top of the screen, or anywhere else that your name appears as a link. Then click the "Edit profile" tab. Several settings that are accessible from your profile can be customized. Some of the more useful ones are:
- Email format: Emails sent from Moodle can be sent in "Plain text format" or "Pretty HTML format". HTML format will include images and the Moodle color scheme in emails, but messages will be slightly larger in size.
- Email digest type: You may choose to receive all emails from Moodle in one daily message.
- Forum auto-subscribe: If you select the "Yes..." value you will be subscribed to any forum to which you post a message.
- Forum tracking: If set to "Yes...", unread forum messages will be highlighted so you can easily see which messages are new.
If you would like to include a user icon with your profile use the Browse button next to the "New Picture" field to locate a picture. Please use either GIF or JPG format and keep the picture small (about 100x100 pixels max with a filesize less than 500 KB). Again, remember that this profile is accessible to all members of the SPTI community—your tutors and everyone else will be able to see this icon. The same caution is applicable to any personal description you might include.
Please use your real first and last names. This is how other users will recognise you and if the admin doesn't recognise your name your account may be deleted.
How to Enrol in a Course
You will need an enrolment key from your tutor for this.
- In the list of course categories in the centre of the page, Click on the category for your course.
- Click on your course programme.
- Click on your course (and year)
- Enter the enrolment key.
You will have access to:
- Your course (and year)
- Your Programme (for courses of more than one years duration)
- All Students
You should see a list of your courses in the "My courses" box on the bottom left. The box will not show up if you are not enrolled in any courses.
Need more help?
When you have logged in to Moodle, click on the Moodle Help link.
If you want to know anything more about the Moodle software itself, try looking it up on www.moodle.org