Foundation Access Course
A part-time programme. Places are available on a first come, first served basis. Early applications are advisable to avoid disappointment
17CFAC1a over 6 months starting Monday 8th
17CFAC1a over 4 months starting Monday 12th
[Click here] for the SPTI Application form
[Click here] for the FAC course specific Reference Request form.
This popular 12 day course, spread over four to six months, is designed to give you the opportunity to:
- experience training at the Sherwood Institute before deciding on a career in counselling or psychotherapy
- develop counselling skills and personal growth, in a relational and experience-based learning environment (for people from other professions and other psychological disciplines)
- find out about the counselling and psychotherapy process and the role of the therapist within this
- learn about and test out study skills designed to facilitate independent and co-operative learning as appropriate to continuing to a higher level course
- encourage exploration of self awareness for your own personal growth
- identify and practice communication skills and techniques
- develop awareness of personal values, ethics, culture and diversity and how these are relevant to counselling and psychotherapy
There is an emphasis on personal development with frequent opportunities to work in small and large group settings. The course provides a general introduction to personal growth, the field of counselling and psychotherapy, as well as the chance to be guided and supported while developing academic skills. As well as being informed by the above, it will also uniquely shaped by the particular needs of the group members. Assessment is through self, peer and tutor evaluation. There is an optional academic writing component. This attracts a separate fee to cover additional tutorial support and marking.
2017/18 Training Dates (9.30am – 3pm) [Group A Jan 18 ~ training dates] [Group B Mar 18 ~ training dates]
Each day includes a discussion/personal development group, theory input and skills practice. These will all be based around a particular theme making them self contained.
Workshop Topics are as follows:
- Personal Values and Ethics
- Humanistic/Person Centred Approach
- Transactional Analysis Theory
- Gestalt Theory
- Psychodynamic Theory
- CBT Theory
- Spirituality in Counselling
- Loss and Experiences of Grief
- Integration of Approaches
- Self Care and Endings
2017/18 Fee: £706*
*An additional fee of £87 will be charged for the optional academic component. This is in the form of two essay questions (supported by additional workshop time) which are marked and are an excellent opportunity to gain or refresh your experience of academic essay writing.
Applications are invited from those wishing to undertake a more in-depth introduction to counselling programme. The Foundation Access Course offers a natural progression from ABC level 2 Award in Counselling Concepts for individuals who have yet to achieve a level three or equivalent qualification. The programme attracts a wide range of students from those starting on their initial qualifications to postgraduates wishing to embark on a career change.
Applicants will be invited to attend an interview as part of the
application process. Please note that two references are
required for this course. Application materials (Our
application form and
reference request form)
can be downloaded from the link at the top of the page.
Please note that two references are required for this course. Application materials (Our application form and reference request form) can be downloaded from the link at the top of the page.
Please contact us on 0115 844 7904 for additional information and support on any aspect of the application process
Our Frequently asked questions booklet is available from the following link click here for FAQ's